Free Resources for New Programmers
by Ali Spittel – DEV.TO
For HTML and CSS
- A game for learning CSS selectors: CSS Diner
- A game for learning CSS Flexbox: Flexbox Froggy
- A game for learning CSS Grid: CSS Grid Garden
- A video I made for learning CSS from zero: Learning CSS Through Creating Art
- An awesome CSS Grid series by Jen Simmons: Layout Land
For other Programming Languages and Concepts
- This site has it all — from HTML, CSS, and JS through frameworks and other programming languages. It has a unique REPL tutorial format: Code Academy – this would be my top recommendation for where to start.
- Learn a web framework — from the command line through Python and Django and through HTML and CSS — all in roughly a day: Django Girls – their online tutorial was where web development clicked for me — it was very pivotal in my career!
- Try Ruby code directly in your browser: Try Ruby
- Github has a series of tutorials for learning both Git and GitHub directly in the browser: Try Git
- A full list of resources for learning Python
For Computer Science
- A series of illustrated guides to computer science fundamentals: BaseCS – there are also podcast and video versions of some of these articles!
- A bunch of cheat sheets I wrote when studying for interviews: Coding Cheat Sheets
- Video versions of a lot of classes including computer science classes: MIT on YouTube
For Code Challenges
- Tons of challenges with difficulties attached: CodeWars
- Another code challenge site with more consistency: HackerRank
- Mathematical coding problems: Project Euler
Awesome beginner Libraries
- Build virtual reality applications with HTML: A-Frame